Job description: Consultant
Location: Central London (EC2) with travel
Start date: February and September 2023, and February 2024
About Oxbow Partners
We are a fast-growing management consulting firm exclusively serving the insurance industry. We advise on strategy topics covering growth, operations and technology and M&A.
The firm was set up in 2015 and we are proud of the business we have built:
- We have a stellar reputation for thought leadership thanks to our blog, reports and numerous press citations
- We have been recognised as one of the top consultancies in the UK in 2022 in a FT survey, the only ‘challenger’ firm in a field dominated by McKinsey, BCG and Oliver Wyman
- Our quarterly staff engagement tracker is consistently well ahead of competition, reflecting our focus on culture and work life balance
We advise management teams of insurers, reinsurers, brokers and private equity firms in the UK, Europe and Bermuda on a wide range of critical topics. Recent examples include:
- Global operating model design for a large reinsurer
- Growth strategy and post merger integration for one of the UK’s leading insurance brands
- Various technical and commercial due diligences for UK private equity firms
We are applying to be a B Corporation reflecting the ethical way we run our business, including a focus on diversity and inclusion. This makes us unique amongst strategy consulting firms.
Our values and culture
We want to be the most trusted, best informed, and most entrepreneurial insurance advisory firm in Europe and have more fun delivering than any of our competitors.
Our values guide everything we do and the way we behave at Oxbow Partners:
- Strive to be the best, but humble enough to recognise there’s always much to learn
- Be hard on facts, even when it means giving tough messages…
- …but soft on people
- Imperfect impact trumps perfect analysis
- Build the brand, and the business will build itself
We work hard but work-life balance is important to us.
We are obsessed with empowering our staff. All employees are strongly encouraged to network extensively in the market and to pitch opportunities for the business that they can then lead. The main constraint to our growth is the speed at which our people develop.
We’re seeking people who are passionate about their communities, the environment and caring for our clients and fellow employees. Oxbow Partners will strive to deliver a high-quality working environment including reward, recognition and career development, in an environment of mutual respect where creativity and ideas are encouraged.
The consultant should expect to spend 80%-100% of their time on project delivery with any spare time being spent on business development.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Conduct primary and secondary research and analysis as part of a broader client team
- Product quality first drafts of output documents
- Lead day-to-day communications with junior clients
- Write articles and papers for use in marketing
- Build client relationships
- Support with marketing activities
- At least 2:1 from a top university
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong communication and written skills
- Ability quickly to understand and learn complex industries and analysis techniques
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Insurance industry knowledge is helpful but not essential
- Prior consulting experience is highly beneficial but not essential
- Business fluency in a foreign language is a strong bonus
The insurance industry
- Everyone needs insurance, but nobody cares about it. This poses interesting challenges around distribution and product development. With the explosion of digital in our lives, insurers are innovating like never before.
- Insurance is hugely complicated. Insurers are selling protection against a possible future adverse event, so they don’t know what the cost of the product is until after they’ve sold it – sometimes many years after they sold it. They must be outstanding in their use of data.
- Insurance is extremely diverse. At one end of the spectrum there is insurance for offshore oil rigs; at the other end there is motor insurance or personal life insurance. Insurers now need to work out how to provide cover against emerging trends like autonomous vehicles or 3D printing. We work across all of these topics.
How to apply
Please email [email protected] with your CV and a covering email to hear more.